WINNER 2009 and 2010
• Free range eggs - all whole eggs Freedom Food, free-range or organic. All ingredient eggs in own brand are free-range
• Higher welfare poultry - own brand poultry is British and higher welfare (Elmwood)
• British Beef - own brand beef is British and reared outdoors on pasture. No intensively reared indoor beef sold
• Freedom Food - first retailer to sell RSPCA Freedom Food from 1994.
Visit the Co-operative website
• Eggs - first major retailer to stop selling eggs from caged hens in 2009. Committed, by end of 2011, to stop selling cage eggs as ingredients
• Higher welfare chicken - sells more Freedom Food chicken than the combined total of all other UK retailers. All fresh chicken to be higher welfare by end of 2015
• Welfare and Woodland - own brand (Woodland) free to roam outside. Woodland turkey for Christmas 2010
• Freedom Food - sells 62% of all Freedom Food in UK.
Visit the Sainsburys website
• Free range eggs - All whole and ingredient eggs are free-range
• Higher welfare Oakham chicken - Since 2002 M&S has offered barn and free-range chicken. Oakham is slower grown in spacious barns with enriched environment
• Outdoor bred and free-range pork - All fresh pork is neither tail-docked nor castrated, outdoor bred and some free-range
• Milk - All liquid and Café milk are from producers in M&S Dairy Health & Welfare programme.
Visit the M&S website
Whole Foods Market
• Independently audited five-step animal welfare programme, communicated to customers in-store
• Whole Foods Market work directly with farmers to help them achieve the highest standards on the five-step programme
• The company believe that food should be produced by people who care about higher animal welfare
• Freedom Food labelled produce sold in all stores
Visit the Whole Foods Market website
Show you care - vote NOW!
Show you care about animal welfare by voting for the RSPCA People’s Choice Award, which recognises supermarkets championing animal welfare issues.
The final award is voted on by you, the consumer, so it’s your chance to have your say and show that you care about animal welfare when you’re shopping. The RSPCA People’s Choice Supermarket Award - in conjunction with The Independent - is your chance to have a say in the RSPCA Good Business Awards.
So, vote NOW for your favourite from the shortlisted four supermarkets, M&S, The Co-operative, Sainsburys and Whole Foods Market.
Vote NOW - Vote NOW - Vote NOW - Vote NOW - Vote NOW - Vote NOW
You can vote online via The Independent website by simply clicking here
Vote now by text - for Marks & Spencer text MANDS, for The Co-operative text COOP, for Sainsburys text SAINS or for Whole Foods Market text WHOLE to 60022